The Springfield Urban League
Founded in 1910 and headquartered in New York City, the National Urban League spearheads the efforts of its local affiliates through the development of programs, public policy research, and advocacy. Today, the National Urban League has 90 affiliates serving 300 communities in 37 states and the District of Columbia, providing direct services that impact and improve the lives of more than two million people nationwide.
The mission of the Springfield Urban League is to assist struggling and disadvantaged individuals to achieve social and economic self-sufficiency.
The vision of the Springfield Urban League is to serve as a premier human/social service corporation that provides equitable quality of life opportunities for all.
Our Empowerment Strategies
The Springfield Urban League employs a multi-pronged strategy to implement the mission of our movement. This strategy is best described as areas of empowerment and addresses most of the social, economic and cultural tenants of everyday life.
- Education and Youth Empowerment: Ensuring that all of our children are well-educated and prepared for economic self-reliance in the 21st century.
- Economic Empowerment: Giving all people the ability to attain economic self-sufficiency through job training, good jobs, homeownership, entrepreneurship and wealth accumulation.
- Health and Quality of Life Empowerment: Working to build healthy and safe communities to eliminate health disparities through prevention, healthy eating and fitness, as well as ensuring access and complete access to affordable health care for all people.
- Civic Engagement and Leadership Empowerment: Helping all people to actively determine the direction, quality of life, public policy and leadership in their communities by fully participating as citizens and voters, as well as through active community service and leadership development.
- Civil Rights and Racial Justice Empowerment: Promoting and ensuring our civil rights by actively working to eradicate barriers to equal participation in all aspects of American society, whether political, economic, social, educational or cultural.
Springfield Urban League Annual Report 2020
Download a copy of the SUL Annual Report 2020.